Who to Turn to When Things Go Wrong

One problem about travelling is that no matter how much you prepare, things sometimes don’t go according to plan. All sorts of issues can crop up when you are away, but being miles from home, knowing what you can do and who you can turn to isn’t easy. However, if you know your rights and take a few precautions before you go, you can make things so much easier in case things do happen to go awry.

Flickr CC katerha

Travel insurer

Travelling anywhere abroad without travel insurance is pretty foolhardy. Travel insurance is not expensive and can make a huge difference if you need medical care or you have some of your belongings stolen. If you fall ill or have an accident, not having travel insurance can result in a pretty hefty medical bill, which if you can’t pay, can leave you in quite a bit of trouble. In some countries, hospitals will expect you to hand over your passport until you settle your bill so you can’t leave the country, which could leave you stranded.

Credit card companies

One of the safest ways of paying for things when abroad is by credit card. This isn’t just so that you don’t have to carry wads of cash around with you, but also credit card companies provide additional insurances for items that are lost, stolen or broken. If something goes wrong with your purchase, whether it is an airline ticket for a flight home or a new camera, you can often contact the credit card company for help. In addition, if you lose your credit card, you will normally get a replacement sent out to you in a few days, which makes it much safer than travelling with lots of cash.


If things really do go wrong when you are abroad, you can contact your consulate for help. What help they will provide varies from country to country, but you may get assistance with legal issues or be able to apply for a new passport if one is lost or stolen. Some consulates will also lend you money to get you home, although they will charge you interest and expect prompt repayment.

Local authorities

If you become the victim of crime whilst abroad, obviously you need to contact the local police. Even if it is only something minor such as having your camera stolen, you’ll need to file a report in order to claim on your travel insurance. If you are involved in an accident and become injured, ensure you get copies of your medical reports and keep any medical bill receipts, as you may be entitled to compensation. If this does happen, speak to a personal injury solicitor as soon as you get home.

Travel company

If you book your trip through a travel company, they have certain obligations when it comes to your flights and accommodation. For instance, if you miss your flight home, your travel company may be able to arrange a seat on the next flight back, while if your accommodation is unsuitable or not how it was advertised, you can contact your travel company and get them to put things right. Furthermore, if you fall ill, or have an accident at your hotel or on any excursion arranged by the travel company, and it wasn’t your fault, you may be able to hold them responsible. If this is the case, speak to a personal injury solicitor at NoWinNoFee.com when you get back who will be able to help you file a claim for damages and ensure you receive compensation for any pain, suffering or financial costs.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: